Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tun Tun, Quien es?

Lo siento por la espera (Sorry for the wait!) Life has been a whirlwind of excitement these past few weeks! I am still loving every minute of being here, and I'm starting to know my way around a lot better (surprised?) These are a few things that are different here that have taken a bit of getting used to:

1. Transportation
Cali apparently has the best layout of their streets in the world. It makes understanding where things are much easier. All streets are numbered, and all of the main roads are either Calles (that run north south) or Carreras (that run east-west). Addresses are given by what street you are on, followed by 2 numbers. The second number is the closest intersecting street, and the third number is how many meters from the intersection you are. So for example if the address was Calle 5 #122-121, the location would be on Calle 5, 121 meters from Carrera 122.

BUT, while the street orders make a lot of sense, the streets themselves are CRAZY. There are many one way streets, and there are always medians the run down the middle, with space every so often to make U-turns. There is also the Mio (the main bus system) that runs down the middle of La Quinta (one of the main streets here) which has cut down the number of lanes on the street, so during rush hour it is jam packed.

Did I mention the crazy drivers? There is no way I could EVER drive down here. As my housemate Rita put it, the painted lines on the road are merely a suggestion. Two lane roads usually change to 3 lanes as cars and taxis squish their way in. Sometimes you could even consider it 4 or 5 lanes if you count all the motos that squeeze in. The motos here weave in and out of cars like it's no big deal. Driving here is very stop and go, in and out, there's lots of honking and driving on the shoulder of the road. Also, if you get in an accident, you are NOT ALLOWED to move your car at all. So you can imagine how that stops the traffic!

Another difference is the traffic lights. In North America it goes green, yellow, red. Here it goes green, yellow, red, yellow. So after a red light there is a yellow, which most drivers read as "GO". I feel like every light is like the start of a race. And a lot of times drivers will ignore the lights if no one is going in the other direction.

The super crowded Mio (and sometimes it's more crowded than this! Talk about lack of personal space!)

I have mostly been taking the Mio or taxis, both of which are great. The Mio is the main bus system and it only cost 1500 pesos per ride (less than $1 USD). It takes me straight from my house to my salsa classes, which is awesome! Taxis here are also very cheap- it costs about $6 USD for a 20-25 minute ride.

2. Maids
It is pretty much expected for you to have a maid if you can afford one. We have a maid named Emma who comes once a week. She is amazing! At first I had the mindset that we didn't need one, and that I didn't need someone to do my laundry or wash my dishes etc. And in theory I don't- I'm independent and I know how to do all of that myself. BUT it is so nice to have one! There is no AC here, so most afternoons and evenings all the windows are open. The house gets very dusty and the floors get extremely dirty. It is amazing to come home from work to a clean house, dinner on the stove, clean and ironed clothes, and a smiling Emma. I really appreciate everything she does for us! I never thought I would be someone to have a maid, but I am thoroughly enjoying it (and I'm NOT getting lazy!)

The downside to maids? All of the kids at school have them as well, and some of these maids do EVERYTHING for them. From packing their bags, to picking up after them, to doing the most menial tasks. Some of these kids are so dependent on their maids and other workers, and they will grow up not knowing how to do anything for themselves. I can appreciate what they do because I've done it for myself. This is just a way of life for some of these kids. They will not know how to shop for groceries, or how to cook, or clean, or do laundry.

Other things!
I'm still just as in love with salsa, and I'm still taking classes 3 times a week! We're moving up to level 3 tomorrow, no big deal. Partnering here I come! I'm also so excited that the world salsa festival is here in Cali this week! You can bet that I will be there as often as possible!

I also finally started Spanish lessons last week, and I was surprised at how much I knew! I've been told that I'm learning quickly (or muy rapido as they say)!

I will try to update my blog more often! But now it's bed time!

Sam xo

No comments:

Post a Comment