Friday, June 3, 2011

Adventures: January-May

Alright! It's time for another big catch up post! This time about my adventures from January-May!

JANUARY

In January I got to experience my first Chiva party. A chiva is a big bus that has been renovated so that people can dance and party on it. Seats line the edges clearing space in the middle for people to dance, it is equipped with a loud sound system so that you can hear the music from over a block away, and it is lit up with dazzling lights! It picks you up and drives you around the city until you reach your end destination (usually a bar). We took a chiva to celebrate Beatriz' birthday and ended at a bar called Kukaramakara.


Chiva fun!

FEBRUARY

We had spent all January preparing for the 3rd grade performance for the primary section. Each grade puts on an assembly and we decided to go for a Motown theme! Each class performed a dance by artists such as Ray Charles, James Brown, The Contours, Stevie Wonder, and my class danced to the Jackson 5! We did a group number with all 5 classes to Ain't No Mountain High Enough at the end.


Mandi and I took a weekend trip to Medellin, a beautiful city north of Colombia. The weather was perfect, the sun was out, the city was clean. We took the cable car, went to the Botero museum, and went for dinner at a restaurant with a live tango show. Unfortunately Mandi sprained her ankle, but we took that as an opportunity to get full body massages and relax!

Mandi and I riding the cable car up the mountain; I found PAD THAI! Sooo excited!!

MARCH


March was a busy month leading up to our school musical The Little Mermaid. I was the assistant acting director and ended up doing quite a bit of props and other little things too!

On March 11th the earthquakes and tsunami hit Japan. One of my colleagues is half Japanese and has family there. She sent us all a link where people took videos showing 3 words for Japan. A few of our classes decided to do this project as well to send messages of hope and love to the people who were suffering. This is the video that my class made.


Another exciting thing that happened in March was the Shakira concert!! We traveled to Bogotá for a phenomenal concert featuring 5 great artists! The highlights of the concert? Reggeton artist J Balvin, Rita and I getting interviewed for TV, TRAIN opening for Shakira, and Shakira herself! The downside to the concert? It was outdoors and we were outside for almost 12 hours in the sun...we all go BURNT. But it was an amazing concert and a tonne of fun!

We're going to see Shakira! ; Showing off our waka waka skills

APRIL

At the beginning of April Colegio Bolívar put on 7 shows of The Little Mermaid. It was an amazing performance and we have such talented students! I am so proud of the hard work that everyone put in!

The end of Under the Sea; The production team!

We don't have March break here, but we have a week off in April for Semana Santa (holy week) leading up to Easter. For vacation I traveled up to La Guajira with Mandi and Stetson. La Guajira is a beautiful place where the desert meets the Caribbean Sea. It was a week full of fun, sun, beach, cows, and relaxation!

Beach jump shots (a must); Chillin' with the cacti

MAY

May wasn't too eventful. It was very busy as we were wrapping up the school year and report cards were due June 2. We had a Cinco de Mayo dinner at Mandi's, threw Martha a bachelorette party, and celebrated teacher's day!


Feliz Cinco de Mayo; Congratulations Martha! ; Enjoying the afternoon off for Teacher's Day

AND now that report cards are in I can relax a little and enjoy the 6 more days of school that are left! Our last day with the kids is June 15, and the last day for teachers is June 17. Mandi, Naty and I are flying out to Bogotá and Villa de Leyva for 5 days, then I fly home for the summer on June 22! This year has gone by so fast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment