July 25, 2013 Note **WOAH. I wrote this 2 years ago and forgot to publish it. THAT is how good I am at blogging...
As I sit here in Pearson Airport, I can’t help but think that my life rocks. I love my job, I love the traveling, and I am so lucky to have met such amazing friends and be able to go home to more amazing friends!
The last days of school were a whirlwind of assemblies, meetings, parties, and crazy kids! Some of the highlights of the end of the school year:
Teacher Talent Show- At the end of the year the teachers put on a talent show for the students. This year I took part in 2 acts. The third grade team recreated our classes’ Motown dances in a fun mash-up. But the show stopper? Our dance to Justin Bieber’s “Somebody to Love”. You may have heard that I have Bieber Fever. And that I’m a Belieber. Well it’s true. Kelsi, Amanda, Martha and I sported matching purple hoodies and rocked out to the Bieb. Choreographed by yours truly out of love.
Rita and I threw a wicked end of the year party on our apartment's patio on the last weekend. We hired a DJ, decorated, hosted over 60 people, made jello shots, vodka infused fruit, and other delicious snacks, and yes- we even had a piñata! There was drinking, dancing, laughing, and good company. The police may have cut our power to the DJ at 2am, but we kept going until 4- in true Cali style.
The last day of school was a half day. When the kids leave it's like...well...a loud, honking parade of busses. The busses circle the parking lot 2 or 3 times honking their horns with kids cheering and crying out the window. The teachers line the fence waving goodbye. It's cute and chaotic.
I had an amazing class this year. There were some characters and BOY did they talk a lot, but they had beautiful hearts and I loved them all! They decided to throw me a despedida (a goodbye party...even though I wasn't leaving!) 2 of my students organized the whole thing (with some parental help) and they had it at a country club! We swam, ate dinner, had cake, played soccer, had cholado (shaved ice with syrup, fruit, and condensed milk. YUM) and they made me cry! Before they cut the cake they each said one reason why they loved me. I will never forget these kids. They were my very first class and they were awesome :)
After school with the kids ended last Wednesday, teachers had to stay until Friday. I had a lot of cleaning and packing to do since I'm moving rooms next year (I get to move to room with a Mimio Board w00t w00t!). But I also had to pack up my apartment to move as well. Let's just say that I am sick of packing and lifting heavy things.
Friday night Mandi, Natalia and I left for Bogotá for an end of the year trip. Bogotá is the capital of Colombia and Natalia knows it well since she went to university there. Saturday we walked around Centro. We celebrated a futbol team's birthday in the plaza, rode llamas, rode the cable car and explored. At night we went to possibly the coolest restaurant/bar I've ever been to, Andrés Carne de Res, and had a hilarious time! Natalia and I met our soulmate, German (pronounced "Herman"), lots of aguardiente was devoured, there was dancing, pictures, and more!
Sunday had a slow start after a long night and getting in at 3 something in the morning. We got ready slowly and had the breakfast of champions (pedialyte and buñuelos?). We took off for a cute little colonial town about 3 1/2 hours from Bogotá called Villa de Leyva. There we relaxed, walked around, went shopping, ate good food, shopped some more, and went on a biking tour around the outskirts of town.
Yesterday we bussed back to Bogotá and went out for sushi in La T (a popular bar/restaurant spot). Our friend Juri (who I call Houdini) took us on a small late night driving tour of the city. It was a great way to spend our last night in Colombia before summer vacation at home!
Hopefully my flight will be on time back to Toronto as I am sick of this airport! Only about 1 1/2 hours left...On the bright side, I am SO excited to be home for a bit! It will be a busy summer, but a little taste of home is exactly what I want right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment