Friday, October 11, 2013

Ode to David Lucas

We are lucky, all of us, to be alive.  And if you are reading this, then you are even luckier to have access to wealth, technology, and the frills of life.  Sometimes we forget how fortunate we are.  Sometimes we forget to be gracious and show gratitude for what we have and to the people we love.

This is your reminder to be thankful every day.  This is your reminder to tell the people you care about that you love them.  This is your reminder to live every day to its fullest.  This is your reminder to be appreciative of everything around you- people, nature, your safety, your health.  You never know when someone you love will be taken away from you.  Don't leave it for another day, because it might be too late.

Our Bolivar family lost a great friend on Wednesday night.  David Lucas was an amazing guy, a good teacher, loyal friend, hilarious dancer, and so much more.

Daveeeeeed, wherever you are I hope that you can get access to some spiritnet (internet for spirits?) and read this.  The world will not be the same without you. 

I will miss your ridiculously loud and hearty laugh. 
I will miss your growling.
I will miss your "whisper voice" (which, let's be honest, was more like a normal person's shout).
I will miss your pierced ears.
I will miss your little strut when you walk.
I will miss you changing your facebook profile picture 3 times in 3 minutes.
I will miss having half my face cut out of your facebook profile pictures because you don't know how to crop photos.
I will miss you showing up randomly at our apartment and swimming in our pool.
I will miss you being the sheik to our geek.
I will miss dancing with you.
I will miss your smile, your fire, your passion, your arguments.
I will think of you when I play trivia.
I will think of you when I see a gringo dancing with a professional salsa dancer.
I will think of you when I wear sweatpants outside the house (to spite you, of course).
I will think of you when I hear or read about US politics.
I will think of you when I think of da bears.
I will think of you when I drink afternoon beers from a girafa.
I will think of you when I think of carnaval en Baranquilla.
I will think of you.
You will be remembered in our memories and in our hearts.

 3 Geeks and a Sheik (aka Trivia Champs)

 Some of my favourite people to dance with

Miss you, Daveeeeed

Carpe diem- seize the day.

4 comments: