As the bouncers open the wooden doors to the club, you cross the threshold into an entirely different world. Walking up the stairs, the salsa music grows louder and your heart can't help but synchronize with the captivating Latino beats. You walk through the crowd of hot, sweaty couples getting their salsa on across the dance floor and make your way to a table. In the dimly lit room you watch the dancers move- hips swinging, twirling, spinning, hitting every beat with such passion and making it look so easy. This is when you realize that you are in love with Salsa.
Last night was our first real night out on the town in Cali, and it was phenomenal. Rita and I made our way up to San Fernando to have a few beers at Mandi and Mike's place. We then met up with Kristin and Kelsi across the parque de perro (I only got us lost once) and headed out to Tin Tin Deo, a wicked Salsa dancing club! http://www.tintindeo.com/ It was just like I had imagined it, possibly even better- people dancing for the love of dancing and giving themselves up to the music. I couldn't sit still and was dancing in my seat all night! The way it works is that if you're a girl you wait until a boy asks you to dance. Unfortunately I don't know how to salsa. Fortunately Kristen and Kelsi's friend Jefferson brought me out to dance and showed me some of the basic steps! He says I'm a natural :p So I had my first real Salsa experience last night and now I'm hooked!! I'm hoping to start lessons early next week and I'm determined to be a Salsa star haha!
In other news, I am officially moved in to my new apartment! It's beautiful and it's been fun decorating and putting things in place. My room isn't fully done yet- I still need to hang my curtains and put some stuff up on the walls, but here's a sneak peek!!
I also got a new phone. It's a touch screen that cost me 10 000 pesos (about $5). I'm not sure how I like touch screens, but it's kind of cool and I have a sweet ring tone called "Zoo".
School starts tomorrow for the teachers, and I'm excited to get things started and meet everyone. So far this has been a great start to my new Cali life, and I can't wait to see what other adventures come my way! But right now, I just can't wait to learn how to SALSA!
Sam xo
No comments:
Post a Comment